Friday, December 17, 2010

So Glad I'm Not a Teenager Right Now

Before I get started on the meat of this post, let me say that this is my first time actually posting in my pajamas! I thought it was worth noting.

Anyway, to get to the point. I'm not saying I'm glad I'm not a teenager right now because being a teenager sucks. I have heard that it does from a number of people, but it didn't for me. The reason I'm glad I'm not a teenager right now is because of technology—the internet, mainly—and all the trouble that that injects into adolescence. I won't even get started with Facebook and people being publicly catty and mean towards each other. That's just a nightmare, plain and simple. I'm talking about the chronicling of everyday activities that ends up on the internet. Have you guys seen Miley Cyrus taking bong hits? If not, check it out (or just watch it again for fun):



When I saw this video, the first thing I thought (well, actually, the second. The first thing I thought was, "Why are they listening to Bush? I was listening to Bush when I was that age and that band isn't good enough to stand the test of time.") was, "Aw, man, to be a teenager again. That looks so fun!!!"

And people are giving her shit. And her dad is tweeting, yes, tweeting, his disappointment in her. What the fuck has happened to people?!

I mean, come on, people! She's 18! MANY of us did worse shit younger. AND, she's in a house that she probably paid for! She even claims that she's smoking salvia (which is legal), so she's not even breaking the law (even though I think she's probably lying).

We took a lot of incriminating photos of one another in high school, but those were the days of film! Someone once took a picture of Gaby and me smoking a huge joint (how did we afford such huge joints in high school?) in her garage, when her parents were out of town, with her parents' camera, apparently. These pictures then got developed, along with the other pix on the film roll, which were of a family celebration. Her parents obviously saw them. Her parents that I'd known for ages, that my parents were friends with. But nothing happened. She got in trouble, but they never told my parents (as far as I know). They probably thought of me as a bad seed, but that's it. Wasn't on the internet for the world to see. We kept it all in the neighborhood.

****************************
And here's another reason I'm glad I'm not a teenager these days: they seem so bored with life. I am a user of OB tampons (I promise this is relevant). I prefer them because they're easier to transport and better for the environment than tampons with applicators. I am running out, so went to the store to get some. They were out. So I went to another store. Same story. And another. And another. Why is everyone out of this particular kind of tampon?!?!? Having spent the majority of my life studying drug use (academically [and yes, in my personal life too—that joke is so old I fell off my dinosaur last time I heard it]), I immediately thought, "There must be some illicit way to use these tampons that I don't know about" (see my tweets for proof!). I shared this thought with my brother and we joked about dissolving cocaine in water and dipping tampons in them and shoving them up your nose and various other ridiculous ways to get high with tampons.

Then I got home and told my roommate about the mysterious shortage of OBs and my theory about illicit uses and she said, "Oh, you don't know?" And then proceeds to tell me that high school kids these days DIP OB TAMPONS IN ALCOHOL AND SHOVE THEM UP THEIR BUTTS TO GET WASTED. What ever happened to plain old drinking? Are they in that much of a hurry? Last time I checked, Everclear shots got you drunk pretty fast. Is that just too boring? She also told me that they put VODKA IN THEIR EYES. What is wrong with the youth of today???

I texted my brother the news about the tampon. Here's our conversation:

Him: Yeah... bypasses the liver. Do we really need to get inventive with drinking?
Me: It's still going to your liver though. She also told me that kids put vodka in their eyes.
Him: Can't talk. Smoking a joint with my armpit.

Then I went out to a bar and drank a couple of glasses of wine. With my mouth.

6 comments:

  1. I have a few thoughts on this. Maybe more than a few.
    1) Her friend is a f***ing bitch to upload this to the internet when her career is at stake.
    2) I agree, I don't think it's Salvia. She'd be on her ass in 5 seconds.
    3) I could have gone my entire life without knowing which brand of tampon you prefer.
    4) Spike's MANswers(that bastion of high-minded TV entertainment) had a segment about drinking through your ass once. Their scientist said that due to the membranes in your ass (or something, I work for Break.com, not WebMd) the alcohol is able to enter the bloodstream that much quicker and you do indeed get drunk faster.
    http://www.spike.com/video/how-to-get-drunk/2899823
    5) Kids these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not denying that it is, in fact, an effective method of getting wasted. Bypassing the stomach always is, hence people snorting shit, injecting shit, and putting stuff up their butt. I just think you've reached an unnecessary level of desperation or thrill seeking if, as a teenager, you're putting alcohol in your anus.

    Here's a fun fact: Among gay meth users, there's a drug taking method called "booty bumping." Basically, the receptive partner puts some meth in his butt and then the top has anal sex with him, bareback. The meth then gets on the tip of the top's dick (which is made of mucous membrane), enters his bloodstream, and then he gets high too.

    Knowing what kind of tampon I use doesn't seem like such a big deal anymore, eh?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why qualified the above comment with "as a teenager." Basically, you're in trouble if you're doing that at any age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "My parents will be home any minute now and we haven't even STARTED drinking this Goldschläger! What do we do?!?"
    "Bend over."
    "What?!"
    "THERE'S NO TIME GODDAMMIT, NOW BEND OVER!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, yes why the hell are they listening to Bush, and secondly, Miley Cyrus sounds like a tranny when she laughs.

    On the alcohol tampons thing...I can't find much except this snopes article. It seems to me that this is one of those sensationalized WTF!?! stories that captures the attention but never actually happened. Or maybe a few idiots tried it. How do you insert a soggy tampon anyway? Perhaps I lack imagination.

    Now if you will excuse me I have just got to go try one of those anal beer bongs, I hear they are all the rage...

    ReplyDelete