Thursday, October 28, 2010

Most of the Time I'm Smart, but Sometimes I'm Very, Very Dumb

Do you ever have those moments when you scream at yourself, "You iiiiiiidiot!"? I was reminded of one the other day.

You know how new deodorant comes with that clear plastic thing under the lid? I'm assuming it's so people don't use the deodorant in the store. That clear plastic thing has a ridge that sticks up. Well, up until less than a year ago, I would always struggle to pull that little plastic thing off. It's so hard to grasp! Why do they make it like that?!?! And then, 17 or 18 years into deodorant wearing, I realized you can just raise the deodorant and the plastic thing basically falls off.

Chuckling to myself, I remembered a hilarious episode of This American Life that featured, among other things, a person who thought unicorns were real. In college. Just made it through life somehow, never realizing that they are a fantasy creature. Anyway, listen to it here because it's real funny.

WHAT'S THE DUMBEST THING YOU'VE EVER DONE OR THOUGHT/BELIEVED?

6 comments:

  1. One time I saw a building in the distance and asked my friends "what's a ghem?" The letters on the building were running vertical and for some reason I didn't recognize
    G
    Y
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't Homer Simpson do something similar?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that episode of This American Life! Favorite part... The girl who spent 20 years of her life thinking that the abbreviation 'Xing' in "Pedestrian Xing" was an actual word pronounced "zing". And that it was instructing pedestrians to 'zing' across the road to avoid being hit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, you are right. Very similar. I've never even thought about it. It's almost exactly the same. Kip was there. He reminds me of it every time we see a gym.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did the xing/zing thing too! In my head as a child. I think I only figured it out in my 20s.

    I don't know if this counts as the dumbest thing ever, but I used to have it set in my brain that the word "facetious" was spelled like "fececious." Like feces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My brother thought it was face-tee-us!

    Also, I thought that girl's logic on the believability of unicorns was rock solid--they are far more believable than dinosaurs!

    ReplyDelete